- Create a multi-campus, interdisciplinary research team uniting gastrointestinal and biomedical research with production agriculture and plant/animal breeding/genetics.
- Establish a comprehensive research platform focused on developing:
- Food crops bred for proven health promotion and agronomic traits,
- Foods with predictable, clinically-proven effects on the microbiome and host metabolic and inflammatory characteristics, and
- Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Synbiotics with predictable, clinically proven effects on gastrointestinal characteristics and/or metabolic and inflammatory characteristics.
- Train new generation of interdisciplinary microbiome-related experts for careers as researchers, food and health industry leaders, and food innovation entrepreneurs.